Friday, August 3, 2012

Twas the Night Before Kindergarten

Twas the night before kindergarten, and all through the house, everyone was sleeping...except for this Momma.  Wide awake at 1:23 a.m.

I am very used to sleepless nights at the start of a new school year.  In fact, for the past eight years I have gotten by on a piddly few hours for the entire months of July & August (at least I'm pretty sure it was a few).  My mind is always on the go: last minute things that I need to do, making a list of supplies for yet another run to Wal-Mart, jotting down the ideas that came to me in the middle of the night.  Yup, perfectly used to that.

But, last night was different.  1:23 a.m. and I am wide awake thinking...hoping..wondering...praying.  Thinking how in the world is it possible that my tiny baby boy is going to kindergarten in the morning?  Where did the time go and is there a way to get a little piece of it back, or at least slow it down??    Hoping that he will have a fantastic first day and begin to love school like his Momma does.  Wondering what he will do and what his favorite part of the day will be. Will he make friends easily?  Will he love it?  Praying that his first day and this whole year will be full of blessings for him.  New school, new faces, new friends, new teacher, new schedule, new work, new standards, new rules, new procedures...lots of "new" for my baby boy today.


I have experienced plenty of first days of kindergarten with the 150+ KinderKids that I have had over the years .  But, today was different.  Today, I was the Momma.  And being the Momma is hard.  I thought I knew that.  As the teacher, I thought I knew that being the Momma was hard.  I had tissues ready.  I was there with a kind smile, a gentle pat on the pack, and an empathetic "I know it's hard, but they will be just fine."  But, I didn't know.  I had NO IDEA.

I didn't know what it was like to worry for weeks on end about who the new teacher would be or whether he would know anyone in his class.  I didn't know that I would lose sleep hoping that he would be "okay" when I dropped him off.  I didn't know that I would feel like I am letting him go for the very first time because this year Mommy won't be in the building.  I didn't know that I would feel this anxious about it.  After all, I knew almost exactly what to expect!


But, lucky for me, I didn't have anything to worry about.  This morning our biggest issue was getting him to take the last few bites of oatmeal. (Incidentally, he never took those last few bites, but Liam was more than happy to finish it off for him.)  I have spent the last few days worrying about his first morning of kindergarten...and he did fine.  He ROCKED it!  The rational part of me knew that everything would be fine.  It was the school that I've known for years I wanted him to attend, he got a teacher that I know and was thrilled that he would have, he knows the building well since we go to church there, and we've read books, practiced skills, and talked about what it would be like for weeks.  I shouldn't have worried.  My tiny baby boy was a big kid this morning.


And this Momma was okay, too.  He did so well, I couldn't not be okay about it.  No worries, no tears...until I started blogging about it anyway.  So, now I sit here and wait.  I had my coffee, did my chores, played with Liam, then laid him down for a nap, and sat in the quiet for awhile...and it was only 10:30.  So, I will wait a little longer until I can drive back, pick up my big kid, and hopefully hear what a fantastic, super, amazing, awesome adventure he had on his first day of kindergarten.  (Can you hear those worries creeping back in???  Oh, I sure do hope he is doing okay and no one is saying or doing mean things to my tiny baby...)

It will be fine...it will be fine.  Because this kid is Chan, and Chan is pretty amazing.


"Learning is a treasure that will follow its owner everywhere."
~Chinese Proverb~

Till later today friends!
Brittany :)

P.S.- Yes, later today.  Please check back for his first day pics and hopefully a good account of how his first day went.

P.P.S.- Big, Big, BIG thanks to the fabulous Wendy Hardin for catching some more amazing shots of my kindergartner!  We went up to the school Tuesday night and she snapped some shots of Chan and his buddy (and her 1st grader) Maddox.  These were my favorites.  You can check out the rest on my facebook page.  And you can check out Wendy's site at http://www.wendyhardinphotography.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment