Saturday, December 22, 2012

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

I don't know about you, but when I look back on my childhood a good deal of my most cherished memories are from Christmastime.  I love that I can look back and remember so much of what made this season so magical for me as a child.

And as a parent now, I want my children to experience the magic of Christmas.  I want them to look back on their childhood and have memories of each Christmas that they are fond of.  I want to start traditions that we do every year, that perhaps they can carry on with their children one day.  So this month, we have been working on memory making!  We've been doing our advent activities each day (the ones that our elf brought us) and just enjoying each other this season.  Here are some pictures of our memories in the making from the past few weeks:

These next few are from our annual Flatt Family Christmas.  My mom's side of the family is quite large (our extended family) and we all get together once a year for a huge Christmas dinner.  I remember when it used to be held at my great-grandfather's tiny, little house on Elliot Drive on Christmas Eve.  After he passed away, we met one year at my great Aunt Chris's house, another at my great Aunt Ora's house (Santa hand delivered me a kitten that year!), but as the kids kept coming we outgrew everyones' houses and our schedules didn't allow us to meet on Christmas Eve.  For years now we have gathered at Old Hickory Church of Christ for our dinner.  I have SO many memories of these get togethers!  So glad that our family continues this tradition so that my boys can experience it, too.
Arless & Lula Belle's great great grandchildren (missing a few though!)

The new kids' table!

After we sing carols together, Santa and Mrs. Claus always make an appearance and deliver toys!  Here is Chandler showing Santa the picture of what he wants on my iphone.

And Liam was just exhausted
Do you remember making lists and writing Santa?  I totally do!  I am pretty excited that Chandler is learning enough now to write on his own (with maybe just a little help).

Chan's letter to Santa that he wrote at school.  The dog was a surprise to this Momma!

So, we wrote an extra letter for clarification...a toy dog :)

Those letters paid off!  Chan got a letter straight from the North Pole!

Came just in the nick of time as a good reminder to stay on the nice list, too!

These few are from Chandler's Christmas play at his school.  The boys and girls did an AMAZING job at their performances!  I was so impressed with the production!  Major props to the kindergarten teachers for their hard work on this event!

Chandler was Joseph for the play

All the kindergarteners entering the gym

During the reading of "Twas the Night Before Christmas", Chan is front row third from right

The grand finale!  Singing Christmas carols "Away in a Manger" and "Silent Night"

Chan & his buddy Sam
How could it be Christmas without lots of time spent in the kitchen?!  I remember my sister and I helping my Mom make Christmas cookies when we were little.  So much fun!  And Christmas themed breakfast is so quick and easy!  Plus the boys love it!  (Okay, Chan does...Liam just eats).

Reindeer French toast!

Christmas tree waffles
Building our gingerbread house this year!  I stopped at Hermitage Bakery this day to get the boys some gingberbread men to go with it since this was our advent activity for the day.
And we spent several hours in the kitchen baking and making Christmas goodies

I remember going to "A Walk through Bethlehem" once as a little girl.  My Mom & I took the boys last weekend and Chandler had a blast!
This Roman soldier was in full character!  Chan was actually a little scared...

Just looking through the scrolls in the temple with the priest

Hanging out with Mary & Joseph! 

And he met Three Wise Men, too!
I think this should be a new tradition: later that night Justin and I went with my parents to dinner at Margaritaville, then to see The Brian Setzer Orchestra at the Ryman!  They put on a spectacular Christmas show!
Cheeseburgers in paradise!
At the Ryman

Didn't get the best pictures with my phone, but the show was amazing!

We also got to see the amazing Carly Koehn perform two Christmas shows last weekend!!

And, us crazy Koehns have been doing our own performances, too.  If you haven't been checking out "The Very Koehn Christmas" videos, you may just want to give my facebook page a look.
And we've also been making crafts (mostly ornaments) and doing LOTS of Christmas movie watching snuggled up on the couch!

Chan and I made these Pinterest inspired ornaments to give as gifts

My snuggle buddies!
And today we took the boys to see the mall Santa.  We still had yet to get their pictures made together with Santa, so we braved it this afternoon and it wasn't too bad....depending on who you ask.

Best.EVER.

"Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmas-time."
~Laura Ingalls Wilder~

Till next week friends!
Brittany :)


No comments:

Post a Comment