Monday, February 4, 2013

Why I Love Being a Mommy

Welcome to February!  I decided to take a break from blogging for most of January, but I am ready to get back to it.  It is not my resolution this year, so my posts may or may not be weekly (depending on what we've got going on and how lazy I am).

Since we are now in February, the month of LOVE, I decided to make this week's post about love.  I am fairly certain everyone knows how much I love my boys, so this isn't about the reasons I love them...because I could go on, and on, and on, and on, and on...you get the point.  This blog post is about the reasons I love being a/their Mommy.  It's pretty much the best job ever.  Here are some reasons why I love it so much:

1.  The joy of becoming and being a Mom.  There is no other love like that of a mother.  Even a Daddy's love is different.

Love these little stinkers!

2.  Bedtime.  This may sound odd since bedtime is the part of the day where we put them to sleep and are away from them for 10-12 hours.  But some of the sweetest minutes of motherhood are spent putting our babies to sleep.  Reading them bedtime stories, saying prayers, rocking them, singing to them, laying with them until you finally feel the heavy weight of sleep on them, and then the best part...watching them sleep.  They are so calm, so sweet, so very precious while they are sleeping.

3.  The Tiny Tushie Run to the Tub!  Okay, maybe this is just a mini-Olympic event in our house, whatever.  But very seriously, one of my favorite parts of the day is watching those two naked rears running like crazy to get to the bath.  This won't be fun (or appropriate) for much longer, so I am going to enjoy it while I can.

4.  Buying for & dressing little people.  How much fun is that?! Plus, extra reasons to go shopping.

5. While it can sometimes be a tad bit annoying, I love that my kids (mostly Chandler) are great reminders of how we need to treat others.  He doesn't let us get by with the "Do as I say, not as I do" type of parenting, and I love that.  He actually said to me the other day, "Mommy, you tell me I need to be nice, and that means you need to be nice, too."  Point taken, Chan.

6. Homework time.  I am certain that this is a time that many parents would rather wring their kids' necks, but I love homework time!  Perhaps it is the teacher in me, or maybe it's the fact that I don't have a classroom of kiddos this year...who knows?  But whatever it is, I love seeing learning in action, especially when it's my kid.

7.  Remember the excitement you had before a family vacation when you were little?  Or better yet, the anticipation of Santa arriving on Christmas Eve?  Double that, then multiply by 10.  That's how much better family vacations and exciting holidays are when you are a parent.

8. Napping with Baby Lamb.  Doesn't get much better than that.  Sadly, Chandler has already outgrown his naps, but those used to be glorious, too.

9.  When Daddy gets home.  I love the excitement, the squeals, the sound of running feet across the hardwood when the boys hear Daddy's car in the garage.  To expand on this, I beyond love watching the bond that my boys are creating with their Daddy.  When they play together, have tickle time, or when Daddy shows them how to do something new...love having a bird's eye view of it all.

10.  Speaking of learning something new, watching your kiddo finally figure out how to do something or accomplish something they've been working on is THE BEST!  One of my very faves was when Chan learned how to swim underwater all by himself.  I will never forget the look on his face or the pride in his voice when he exclaimed, "Mommy, I did it!  I swimmed!"  Oh.My.Goodness.  That's good stuff!

11.  Sometimes it is just the little things, you know?  One of the little things I love is the sounds that come along with having children in the house; the cartoons playing in the background, our favorite lullaby CD playing at bedtime, the sound of Lincoln Logs stacking together as the big kid builds, baby feet slapping the hardwood floor, belly laughs, listening to the out-loud imaginary play, and sometimes I even love the sound of a good mess being made.

12.  Playing with toys, making forts, building sandcastles, having impromptu games of tag, dance parties in the kitchen while making dinner, staying outside until dark in the summer, reading my favorite books to the boys (with hopes that they'll become their favorites, too)...I definitely love all that stuff.  It's almost like being a kid again myself.

13.  Swapping mommy stories with my friends.  I sure do love to tell about my babies, but I also love hearing mommy experiences from my friends.  (This is best done over coffee while the kids play.)

14.  I love that my hugs, kisses, and TLC can often stop tears, calm fears, and melt away pain.  That's good medicine right there.

15.  One of my very favorite parts of being a Mommy is watching my boys be brothers together.  From the minute when our 3 1/2 year old Chan met his just born brother and told us "I don't believe it!  Look at his tiny little fingers!" it has been one of my favorites of being a Mom.  Watching them play, seeing big brother comfort his crying little brother, getting to see Liam walk up to Chan at random times of the day and just give him a hug and lay his head on big bro's shoulder, and even here lately when Liam says "I want NaNew" while Chan is at school, which lets me know how much he misses him when he's gone.  I love these moments.  They are creating their very own brotherhood, and as Mommy, I get to watch.  It's pretty spectacular.

"A mother's happiness is like a beacon, lighting up the future 
but reflected also on the past in the guise of fond memories."
~Honore de Balzac~

Till next week friends!
Brittany :)

No comments:

Post a Comment