Saturday, March 17, 2012

Happily Ever After

Okay, so this week's post is a little less "Snips & Snails" and a little more "Happily Ever After".  Today we are celebrating my parents' 40th wedding anniversary!!  WOW! 

On March 17, 1972  Debra Gale Flatt and John Ulna Whitaker, Jr. said their "I Do's", embarking on a journey that would lead to two cities, four homes, three children, two dogs, one cat, two sons-in-law, and five grandchildren, and much, much more...but their story isn't over yet!  They are still going strong after 40 years and I couldn't be happier or more proud of them!

I've spent the past few days looking through old picture albums of my Mom's and Granny's.  I'm wanting to scan all of their old photos so that we have a digital copy of everything, but it is a long process.  I started with Mom's several years ago and am working a bit at a time on it.

Anyhoo, I wanted to share some of my favorites of two of the very most important people in my life.  The two people who have, without a doubt, made the biggest impact on who I am today.  We shall start at the beginning.  Here are the two little cuties long before they ever met:



And here are a couple of shots of them in their teenage years:



And this is my Mom's favorite of the two of them together.  She calls it their "Bonnie & Clyde" picture:


Aren't they super groovy?  I always love looking through old photographs and remembering and reliving things that I've experienced (with the exception of that awful perm that I had in elementary school).  But, going through the pictures of my parents growing up and beginning their lives together is completely different.  I've heard lots of stories and seen most of the pictures before, of course...but looking at these photos of two young kids in love and watching their story unfold in the albums is just beautiful.  Almost like I wish I could have known them then....very "Back to the Future"ish.

So, today as I wear my green for St. Patrick's Day, I will be celebrating the day that my beautiful Mother wore her white and walked down the aisle to begin a new life with my handsome Dad.  A life that would undoubtedly bring many trials, tears, arguments, disagreements, and compromises (as any marriage does).  But one also that brought much love, joy, happiness, laughter, contentment, comfort, fulfillment, and blessings beyond measure.

Happy 40th Anniversary, Mom and Dad!  Here's wishing you many more years of happiness together!


                                    "An anniversary is the time to celebrate the joys of today,
                                      the memories of yesterday, and the hopes of tomorrow."
                                                                              ~Author Unknown~

                                                                 Till next week friends!
                                                                         Brittany :)

P.S.- My Mom is probably going to kill me for posting some of these.

P.P.S.- In case anyone was wondering about the gas mileage in my new mini-van...it freaking rocks!  We went two weeks on one tank of gas!  And it doesn't cost a gajillion dollars to fill up like the Trailblazer did.  Just another reason why I've become a miniature van convert ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment