Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Let Freedom Ring!

"This, then, is the state of the union:  free and restless, growing and full of hope.  So it was in the beginning.  So it shall always be, while God is willing, and we are strong enough to keep the faith."
  ~Lyndon B. Johnson~

I know I usually end my blog post with another's words (and I still will), but as I was looking for inspiring words for today's post I had came upon this one that I thought was interesting.  I have read it before, but today as I was searching for a quote for Independence Day, this one just made me think of my boys.  President Johnson was referencing here the state of our great country, but those words could easily be used to describe my children, any children really.  "Free and restless, growing and full of hope."  

I am so grateful to have been born in this country.  I count my blessings that my  children, who are "growing and full of hope" will grow up in this country with their freedoms that have been fought for, won, and are protected.  As they grow up, I know that they will learn in school how our independence was won.  But I hope to instill in them a love for their country, a great respect for those who defend our freedom, and a grateful heart for those who died  for our Independence. 

Though Independence Day is about so much more than cookouts, pool parties, and fireworks, we did do a lot of that today.  We started our morning watching our annual July 4th neighborhood parade, stuffed our faces full of way too much food for lunch, and ended our day with more food and some swimming.  Very little fireworks this year.  Chandler has decided they are too loud for his ears (what??!!)...though we did stop and get my tank and chicken which are staples of every July 4th celebration for this girl.  

Jus & the boys all ready to watch the parade go by

Beginning of the parade passing our house

Next year will plan to be in the parade...this year we were happy to watch

Love this sweet face!

Couldn't resist not letting you see this gem

Happy Independence Day from The Koehns!

Okay, the kids are asleep and tucked in...I am heading outside to watch some of the neighborhood fireworks!  Maybe next year the littles will decide that they can stay up late enough to enjoy them with me.

"Those who won our independence believed liberty to be the secret of happiness and courage to be the secret of liberty."
  ~Louis D. Brandeis~

Till next week friends!
Brittany :)

No comments:

Post a Comment