Sunday, March 17, 2013

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!

Here's hoping that you didn't forget to wear your green today!!  Us Koehns sure didn't!

We actually kicked off our St. Patty's Day celebrations a day early.  Yesterday we got up and had a special shamrock pancake breakfast, complete with green milk and green grapes.
Chan's breakfast plate
Chan at breakfast (still sportin' his rainbow tattoo from TUESDAY.  I swear I do wash him.)
Liam had shamrock pieces instead.
We went ahead and had a festive green-inspired lunch, too.  While Jus and Chan went to get fitted for tuxes for an upcoming family wedding (I CANNOT WAIT!), Liam and I prepared chicken salad in green spinach tortillas, green cucumber slices, green pistachio pudding topped with Lucky Charms, and a fruit rainbow in a cup complete with whipped cream clouds.  Oh, and Lucky Pop made from clovers....okay, it was totally Sprite.  But, my kids hardly ever get soda, so it was exciting anyway.
Pre-St. Patty's Day lunch
Chan's so ready to dig in
This was all gone in about 10 minutes.  Seriously.  This kid can PUT AWAY a meal in no time.
Even Daddy Koehn was excited!
After lunch the boys went outside searching for 4-leaf clovers.  They found A LOT...of 3-leaf clovers!  Chan was planning to use them for the leprechaun trap he was scheming up.
Clover hunting
He got lots and lots---which ended up all over my carpet not too long after this
Saturday evening we were going to be heading to a St. Patty's celebration at a friend's house, so we had to prep for the party.
We made green cupcakes, complete with rainbow sprinkles.  Notice the tiny hand creeping up in the bottom of the picture!
And tried on some St. Patty's attire
And Daddy Koehn even got a little gift from Momma Koehn
My crazy boys after we arrived at The Lynch's Pub
All these folks (and more) were celebrating the last St. Patty's Day get together at The Lynch's Pub (since they're moving!)
We didn't stay out too late since: A.) Liam hadn't napped for the day and was exhausted and 2.) we still had to put the final touches on our leprechaun trap.  Plus, the boys had to have baths.  And we take fancy baths on St. Patty's Eve, dontcha know?!
Rainbow bubble bath!  There were gold coins hidden under the rainbow.
Chan loved searching for gold.  Liam, as it turns out, hates bubble baths.
Chan with his completed trap.  He rigged the laundry basket up with a stick he found, put the clovers in the bucket with gold coins on top, and the yellow paper is a bed for the leprechaun in case he got tired (so he told me anyway)
After the boys were sound asleep (which took no time at all), I worked on putting together a quick clover scavenger hunt for the morning and set out to prove that the leprechaun had indeed come to our house.
He didn't get trapped, but he did take our gold.  Little stinker.  And his name was Frank, because that's the  best I could come up with at 10:30pm
Frank had to use the facilities.  Lil' bugger doesn't flush.
Chan wasn't too worried that we didn't catch him.  I told him how sneaky they are!  (WAY more than any Christmas elf!)
Liam just kept looking "uuumm, peepee...uuummm, peepee"
Chan spotted one of the clover clues on our way out the door to church, but we were running behind (as usual), so I told him it would have to wait until later.  After church, we stopped to pick up Nana and we went to McNamara's for an Irish lunch. 
Chan & Daddy waiting for food
Enjoying their fish and chips.  Jus & I opted for the Shepard's pie which was pretty tasty (though he said mine was better :)
Me & my momma

When we got home, Chan was ready to find the clovers!  I had found a scavenger hunt on Pinterest that was complete, I just had to print it out.  THANK YOU!  The boys were very excited!!  (Okay, honestly, Justin was more excited than they were.)
Look at Chan..."really Daddy??"  He was taking all the clues and running ahead of them!
The final clover clue was in the fridge.  The pot of gold was a bag of Rolos, with Skittles on top, topped with marshmallows.  I didn't get a picture of that before they ripped it open.
After getting some St. Patty's Day pics outside (even with all the pouting and whining from the boys...I mean geez friends, I just like to capture memories ;) we had an afternoon Shamrock Float.
My Lucky Charms!!
St. Patty's 2013
Shamrock floats (sans the shamrock straws that I forgot I had bought): Lime sherbet and Sprite
Liam was a big fan of these.  Basically because he likes anything that you can eat or drink.
Well, our day isn't over yet!  We are about to head over to The Koehns' for our Sunday dinner.  Grandma is making corned beef and cabbage tonight (with a grilled chicken breast for me, of course).  Here's another great day in the books!

"May your blessings outnumber the shamrocks that grow,
And may trouble avoid you wherever you go."
~Irish Blessing~

Happy St. Patrick's Day, friends!
Brittany :)

P.S.--I obviously didn't think of all this stuff on my own.  I am a self-proclaimed thief!  I stole almost every idea on here from Pinterest.  Here are the ones that I used printables for, because I may steal, but I give credit where it's due.  BIG THANKS to everyone for sharing stuff on Pinterest!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment