Saturday, March 3, 2012

The Space Conundrum

There comes a time in every mother's life when she realizes that her children are taking over every square foot of space that she has.  No matter what she does (reorganize, declutter, spring clean, consign, send annoying toys to "new owners" via the garbage bin)...the kids will eventually take reign over the space.  And it's true; kids just take up a lot of room.  Because they come with a lot of stuff.  For instance, in our living room right now, we have two musical tables, one Jumperoo, two bouncy seats, a Bumbo seat, a giant stuffed horse, a John Deere Power Wheels tractor (???), baby toys strewn about, and about two hundred Army men preparing for battle.  And that doesn't even include all of Justin's toys that I have to contend with. 

But, the conquering of space doesn't stop when you leave your humble abode.  Oh, no...there are car seats, strollers, cart cover-ups, diaper bags, and more that must be transported when these little humans are en route.  Do you see where I'm going here???  Yes, I believe every mother comes to a point in her mommy-hood where she must admit to herself that a mini-van might possibly be the answer to her traveling space conundrum.  Many times mommies will avoid facing this ugly realization by purchasing a lovely sports utility vehicle.  You see, with this option you have the advantage of extra space without having to bear the burden of being labeled a "soccer mom" or simply detracting from your "cool" factor.  But, for many others, the allure of the spaciousness, combined with easy loading/unloading and enough cup holders for an entire soccer team,  is far too much to bear.

Yes, friends, it's true.  Momma Koehn has now entered in to the realm of mini-van owner.  And I am proudly taking the title.  I tried to combat it for long enough with the Trailblazer, but as it turns out, miniature vans really are perfect for transporting children!  Even without having all the upgraded bells and whistles, this thing pretty much rocks my socks.  So, even though I may not be as "cool" as some of my other mommy friends (Wendy Hardin), I at least now have cup holders to hold enough Route 44 Diet Cokes that I no longer care.  Oh, and if you need a ride somewhere, just give me a shout...I have plenty of space ;)

The Oh-So-Happy Koehns and our new miniature van

                         "In America, there are two classes of travel- first class, and with children."
                                                                                         ~Robert Benchley~


                                                            Till next week friends!
                                                                    Brittany :)

7 comments:

  1. I love this! Had an SUV, had a mini-van. I went back to a car. LOL And I feel as though I live in PeeWee's Playhouse and I only have one... :)
    Jones

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Of course, it is possible that I would be driving a miniature van even if I didn't have kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So now the question remains....to what do you move when you run out of space in the mini? You look good in the van! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA!! Oh yes... We only have one baben and will probably never have a "miniature" van, but we do have SUVs... and haul a ton of stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This totally has me laughing. I am still cozy with my trailblazer, and am hoping to keep it that way, but who knows as these kiddos grow up. I am still in the fighting the mini van stage of life at the moment. lol I totally do want the label of "soccer mom" though one day. I can NOT wait for that day :) Check back with me in 3 years and I bet I will be asking for advice on mini van purchases.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just read your blog to my husband. It gave him a chuckle. I used to own a van and he hated it. He swears that a van robs a country boy of his pride. Now that we have two, we have the van debate often. Turner and I miss the van terribly. Thanks for the blogs. They keep us in stitches and remind us that we are just like other parents in the world, surviving with smiles and making memories. A Owen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love love and more love! You are TOO a cool Mom. We have been looking to join the ranks of the minivan moms and dads for a few weeks now. Glad I can join such a classy crew. :)

    ReplyDelete